How to find us Something about us       

The Religious Society of Friends

Quakers in Southport

Meeting for Worship
is held at our Meeting House at 10.30am each Sunday.

All welcome

Where are we?

The Meeting House is behind the Police and Fire Stations.

Station: Chapel Street, Southport (about half a mile)
Bus Stop: Manchester Road, end of Court Road

There is some parking at the Meeting House. Disabled access is easy. There are also toilet facilities for the disabled.

For a general map of Southport click here

For a closer orientation, click here


Local Contacts:
01704 513565
01695 423536
01704 220992

General contacts:

Quaker Life, 173 Euston Raod
London NW1 2BJ
020 766 31017


Some links of interest:

Quakers around the world:

Friends World Committee for Consultation

Other local websites:

Quakers in North West England

Quakers in Liverpool


The following groups use our Meeting House during the week:

NB we do not have a resident Warden.

Arden College

Welfare Groups

DRS Mediation Service


Southport Lecture Society

from time to time:
The Baha'is of Sefton

Liverpool University (adult education classes)

Sefton Borough Council run several courses here, too, for example "Sure Start" and "Early Years" programmes

If you would like to use our Meeting House, please contact our lettings officer for details of availability and our charges.

Tel no: 01704 513565

Easily reached from Lord Street / Manchester Road - behind Fire Station
Car spaces for about 6 cars in total and street parking a little further up Court Road.
Easy wheelchair access and toilet facilities for disabled
Loop system for hard of hearing
Main Meeting Room can seat 40 in comfort
Small Meeting room to seat 8 - 10, with tables in place
Flipchart (small extra charge)

Small Library can seat 6 - 8
Kitchen with hob, oven, kettles, basic crockery, washing up facilities
Pleasant rear garden and patio




10.15 am - a Sunday morning - Friendly Welcome from a Clerk

Who are we?

We are a group of worshippers who feel that we belong together, sharing beliefs based on a common Christian heritage. Our official name is the Religious Society of Friends but the nickname, Quakers, given by a judge and meant in derision in 1650, has stuck and is used as much as the term Friends.

A little about Southport Preparative Meeting

Friends have been active in Lancashire since the early days of Quakerism. George Fox, generally regarded as the founder , recorded meeting "Friends" in Ormskirk in 1657. Of course, the township of Southport did not exist at that time.


Early Friends came to North Meols and appear to have lived on the fringes of the manor to avoid persecution for refusing to pay tithes. They later moved into the new township of Southport and groups of Quakers met in each other's homes for worship.

In 1826 they built a small meeting house on Lord Street, approximately opposite the present St George's Church. In April 1865 they held their first meeting for worship in a new, larger meeting house in Portland Street. By the mid 1950s , however , the numbers of Friends in Southport had fallen drastically and the building was too big. So they sold it to the Jewish congregation at the Reformed Synagogue. Meetings were then held in rooms near Birkdale station and Friends had to wait until 1960 before they could worship again in their own meeting house, the present building.